Some things that he currently says a lot:
-"Hi Mama" or Hi Daddy or Hi Tutu or Hi Phoebe...whoever happens to be around gets greeted VERY often. Usually, he repeats it until you acknowledge him. Even if you've been in the same room with him for hours. He's friendly. It's decidedly less cute when he's decided to wake up for the day at 3am and he's greeting you in bed with a slap on your cheek until you open your eyes.
-"Otay" Usually as in "Otay, otay, otay" said with exasperation when he's asked to do something. Or as he's trying to do something that's difficult, he kind of whispers it to himself. Maybe as encouragement? Who knows. This kid is loco.
-"Oh Mama", again with exasperation, when I do something silly. As though I'm embarrassing him already. Nice. No else. Just mama.
-"Sure" Sounds more like "suuuuuh" when he says it. Usually in response to an offer, like "Hey wanna go outside?" "SUUUUUH, otay" Or when he asks for a snack, he'll say "Nack pease", so I say, "Oh you want a snack?" and he says "Suuuuh" like it was my idea in the first place. Tricky bugger. Also in rotation with "Awright, otay". Equally adorable.
-"Thank you" Sounds more like "sank uuuuu" said with a lot of inflection. This is my fault. When he started saying it this way, I realized that I have been saying "thank you" to him with a lot of emotion, trying to show him that it's important to be polite. Unfortunately, he now repeats it with just as much inflection, which only sounds patronizing coming from a one year old. Lesson number one in toddler repetition. Duly noted.
-"Aaron Donald Greenslade" He likes to say his name. A lot. It's adorable. Almost as cute is his new way of saying "W". This video is going to be a classic, I think. I already love it.
-"EIEIO" One of his favorite songs. Only on his farm, Old MacDonald has no animals, just letters. Woe be fall you if you get tricked into starting at the beginning of the alphabet. You will be forced to sing all 26 letters on the farm. Tutu is the only one that still falls for that. He can smell a sucker a mile away.
-"Have patience" We have been singing that song to Aaron a LOT recently, when he is being impatient. Now, if you tell him he has to wait for something, he starts singing "Have patience, have patience" in a really sad, small voice. Also hilarious.
-"Where are you?" If he's looking for a toy, he will yell out "Ball, where are you?" and as he keeps looking, he responds to himself, "I dunno know". Now, imagine all of that said with the Elmer Fudd accent. It's pretty hilarious.
-A really new one is yelling "Pee pee POTTY!" whenever someone goes into the bathroom. He might be embarrassed by this information in years to come (although, when you consider the bunny ears photos, this is nothing) I'm so glad to hear him yell those words, since potty training will begin next week. It's a step in the right direction, right? I can't promise there won't be posts on potty training...I'm keepin' it real.
-ABCs or as he calls them the "Alpapet" He chants these. At random times. He knows the whole song and REALLY likes to sing it. A lot. Have I mentioned that he likes letters? Because he DOES.
-"No." A perennial toddler favorite, it is VERY much in use in our home. Almost everything is answered with a "No" unless you are asking if he is allowed to do whatever bad behavior he just exhibited. He also has started telling us "No want" or "No eggs" or "No sank uuu" What a useful little word, eh? A common refrain around here right now is "You may not tell Mama no." Alas, it doesn't seem to be making a difference.
Some things he does:
-In addition to letters, he also likes counting a lot. He can count to 20 (although some of the teen numbers sound VERY alike and kind of fuzzy) When we taught him how to climb up the stairs, we encouraged him by letting him count each step - sometimes, more than once. He's only recently started climbing down the stairs, and so he's started counting backwards. He now can count backwards from 10 and at the end, he yells "BLAST OFF". Which is usually funny. Unless you aren't at the bottom of the stairs yet, and your mommy-heart starts pounding, wondering whether he's going to jump. But he doesn't. Mainly because he's a weenie.
-He's a pretty good repeater. He will now try to say whatever you ask him to say. It doesn't always come out well, but at least he's trying. It also leads to a lot of mysteries. There are a lot of times when he is trying to tell me something and I have absolutely no clue what he is saying. For example, whenever he throws a toy, or a ball, or himself, he yells "Abiya!" Seriously, NO CLUE where that came from or what it means. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
-Speaking of repeating, he will sometimes repeat after me when I call for Isaac. As a result, if you ask him Daddy's name, he says "Isaac". He will run through the house yelling "Isaac, Isaac". He doesn't know my name though...hmmm.
-Seeing as that we have about four letter puzzles and NUMEROUS toys that teach the letters, you can imagine that my house is overrun by letters. But the good side of it is that he is starting to learn the sounds that each letter makes and he can usually identify what letter a word starts with. One of his current favorites is wandering around the house saying "Wuh, wuh, wuh WATER. Dub-u-ya. Water." He's a smart cookie.
-He can spell a few words - Hi, Stop and Aaron are the main ones. He has magnetic letters that he uses on his MagnaDoodle to spell things out, which is a big help for us because he used to press us into transcription service. We were VERY grateful the day we realized those letters would imprint on the magnetic surface. Have you ever spent three hours a day writing letters for a demanding one year old?? It's exhausting.
-Using the magnetic number set, he also really likes to make the teen numbers. He gets his one and then puts it with another number, for example, eight and yells "EIGHTEEN". He is VERY proud of himself for that. Which also causes a lot of drama in our house when the precious number one magnet goes missing. A lot of drama.
-His favorite books right now are Dr. Seuss's ABC and The Very Hungry Caterpillar. He has started reciting along with whoever is reading. Again, just a warning, don't get sucked into the ABC book, unless you want to read it 47 times in a row. This kid requires a seriously firm hand when it comes to repetition and some of us (ehem, MOM) are not as good as others at drawing the line. It could be because she's his grandma, but family legend has it, that Joshua also was a book pusher at an early age. Something tells me she just can't resist a cute face. We love her for it.
-His favorite TV shows are Sesame Street and Little Einsteins. Anytime he sees a remote control (a "mote") he asks for "More Einstein" or "More Ses Street". He loves to sing along to the Little Einsteins theme song, which is truly a catchy tune. His favorite parts of Sesame Street are the letters and number segments (shocking) but he also is a big fan of Ernie ("Oinie"), Cookie Monster ("Tookie MoNster") and the Count. Isaac thinks that Aaron might have a future as the next Sesame Street Count, should the current Count ever choose to retire. He even does the "Ah, ah, ah" laugh when he's counting. Goon.
-He likes to talk on the phone, or at least pretends to. Anytime he
A funny story from recently:
-We use time out as our primary form of discipline, so Aaron is well accustomed to being told to "Sit" after he disobeys. The other day, he got put in time out several times in a row for sticking his (precious) letter magnets into the space between the pocket door and the wall. Later that afternoon, I saw him sitting close to the door, with a letter in his hand and I was wondering if we were going to be headed into another time out marathon. Then I heard this. "No, no, no. (Pause) Aaron Donald...you sit." And then he got up, walked over to the time out spot and sat down. Self imposed discipline! Hooray! We're making an impression! I carry this memory close to my heart, to pull out and mull over when I'm repeating "NO THROWING" for the 800th time that day. He gets it, he really gets it...at least sometimes. Me thinks it's selective hearing/understanding though.
-Another funny story happened last week in the Target. I was trying to help Aaron drink some water out of a cup with a straw, instead of his sippy cup. I said to him "Here, like this" as I straightened the straw into the cup. He said "No, mama, how 'bout dis?" as he ripped the straw out of the cup, spilling water all over himself. Not only was he repeating something Tutu says all the time, "How about this?", but he was having a conversation with complete sentences! I was completely shocked. Who is this kid and where is my baby??
I'm sure there are a ton more. I wish I could video tape everything he says and does, because it's hilarious. We just giggle at him all day.
Although, I'm not giggling now, seeing as that he's standing on a chair in the living room, trying to climb over onto the couch, meanwhile chanting the ABCs all the whilst picking his nose. Okay, maybe I'm giggling in my heart, but clearly, I need to go! The days of long blog posts may have come to an end!
No comments:
Post a Comment