22 May 2009

the outtakes

"Better late than never" was never more true than in reference to these photos.

I should warn you though. This post is ridiculously long. Like 40 some odd pictures long. Does it make it any better if I tell you that I whittled it down to 40 from around 300 pictures?

I'm his mama, I'm supposed to think he's irresistably adorable. Of course I have enough time to sit and revel in his chubby lovely-ness. But I definitely get it if you don't have that kind of time to devote to his cuteness.
Consider this post mostly for his grandparents, great-grandma and aunts. And for posterity. Because I think this blog is going to play a central role in his baby book. I can't wait.

The photo shoot started with a very happy baby.

Here is the outfit.

We use cloth diapers most of the time, so I picked a pretty light blue color for the shoot. It matched perfectly with his spring themed baby legs. What are baby legs you ask? They are like leg warmers for babies, only they cover their entire legs. The point is that they can wear them with a onesie, in lieu of pants. It provides easy access for diaper changes and adorable fashion statements. I got them free with our cloth diaper order and picked out this delightful argyle pattern. Isaac says they are girly, so alas, Aaron has only worn them once. For these photos. Which will last in perpetuity. Heehee.

Chubby, chubby baby goodness. I know this will start to melt away when he starts crawling, so I'm enjoying it now.


The first photo session prop was Aaron's Sleep Sheep, given to him by his lovely Aunt Sarah. Aaron loves his sheepy friend.

Hi friend! Are you so excited to be in pictures with me?

And then he ate him. Because if Aaron likes you, it means you will get licked, chewed and droobled on. It's how he rolls. At least, that's what I tell myself.
Isaac says...mmmm, lamb chops.

All was well in baby photo session land...until I brought out the bunny ears.
For those of you that have trouble seeing Aaron's resemblance to Isaac, it's too bad I didn't take a photo of Isaac's face when I pulled those bunny ears out of my Target bag. Same.exact.face. Uncanny, really.

He warmed up to the ears though.
And resumed being his true, odd self. His truly odd special self. Gosh, I love this kid.

Oh Mommy, you caught me being silly, didn't you?
Yes, son, yes I did. And I will show that picture for years and years. Because it makes me giggle every time I see it.

As you can see, we were having a few technical difficulties with the ears.
Well, the problem was more the shape of Aaron's head. But we don't mention it. Because Isaac is a bit sensitive about large and oddly shaped craniums. So we'll blame the ears. Silly bunny ears.

I have a lot of photos that look exactly like this. At least we'll never forget Aaron's cute baby stage where he put everything in his mouth. Because he will outgrow that....right??

This one is just gratuitous. He doesn't actually suck his thumb. But isn't that cute?

These next few are for my friend, j.hay. She, more than anyone, appreciates Aaron's modeling abilities. I think it's all of the America's Next Top Model marathons that Gpop and I watched in the last few weeks before Aaron was born. He was obviously paying attention in utero.

Here he is finding the light. He always manages to do that. Except he calls it, watching the sunlight through the trees outside. Tomato, tomahto.
Here he is striking a pose. Work it out, baby, work.it.out.

Then, he fell over and thought it was hilarious.
And makes him scream with laughter. Which is even more hilarious. Are you noticing a cycle here? Many a giggle fest has been the result of this kind of activity.

So then I brought out a new friend to play with. This is DuckyMan, who was an Easter gift from my dear Aunt Shelley - Aaron's Super Aunt ;)
Aaron had never seen him before (he had arrived by mail that day).
So, trusty old pointy slicer came out to examine the new guy. (If you don't know who pointy slicer is, you should read yesterday's post.)

After careful examination, it was determined that DuckyMan was a good guy.
Welcome to the circle of drool, DuckyMan, welcome.

But, alas, all good things must come to an end.

So we took a bottle break, switched locations and he cheered right back up.
Pointy slicer declares this a fine place for some picture taking!

Okay, let's put the ears back on.

Oh, and the DuckyMan.
Hey, I remember you. But I better pointy slice, just to make sure.

I kept saying, Aaron, look at Mommy. Aaron, smile for Mommy.

Do you smell that? I think it's Eau de Patronization.
And I'm okay with that.

Because, even though he isn't looking at me, I can still get money shots. Because Daddy is right next to me being his funny self.

Here Aaron was telling a funny story. I think the punchline was something about how I was going to pay for all of these embarassing pictures once he was able to crawl away from my camera.

Another example of how falling over is always good fun.
You know, as long as you are landing on a comfy soft surface.

I gave up on having those ears stay on his head.
Just as cute, no?

This was my last attempt at changing things up to keep Aaron interested.
Baby in a basket...an Easter basket. Cute, right?
Or not.

The second meltdown was my clue that maybe the photo shoot was over. What a patient little man though. We considered it a rousing success, considering that I had gotten several great shots.

Including this photo.


My goodness, I cannot overemphasize how much I love this guy.

And if you've read this far, I'm sure you do too.

1 comment:

Jen Hayes said...

thanks for the shout out (also thanks for keepin the name of nick jhay alive. much appreciated). i appreciated this entire post. i was close to shedding a tear at watching aaron's journey to true fierceness.